Sunday, June 13, 2010

REVIEW: Fresh.

I am a sucker for high quality homemade ice cream. And I'm picky - I like the real stuff. Not custard or "mix-ins", but hard-packed ice cream with the flavors frozen in the base (as opposed to added after the fact to soft serve). I could go on about why the former method is far superior (depth of flavor, etc.), but I won't bore you with a bad Alton Brown impersonation. Anyway, when I heard a new place had opened on Glenwood that fit this bill, I had to give it a try. It is called Fresh. and it's located right in front of Casa Carbone. I wanted to love this place because, in addition to making all the ice cream on site, they also use local, hormone-free milk from Maple View Dairy. Unfortunately, it was a little disappointing. The ice cream was just average. It's too bad, because Raleigh seems to be lacking in good, locally-owned ice cream shops. I hear that Loco Pops is going to start serving ice cream and sorbet, so maybe I'll give that a try next.

No comments:

Post a Comment