Saturday, August 17, 2013

STRECHING YOUR DOLLAR: One pound of meat, three meals

In an earlier post I mentioned that in the attempt to eat local and organic, my family has significantly cut down on our meat portion sizes. By doing this, we can afford to buy higher quality, and yes, more expensive meats from local sources. There are three standbys that I find myself using the most to make this doable: quiche, pizza and pasta. All three can be made using very small quantities of meat. For example, this week I made 3 meals from one pound of Ray Family Farms Country Sausage ($7.65). Monday we had sausage and cheddar quiche, Wednesday we had a sausage, tomato, yellow squash and basil pizza and Thursday we had fettuccine with sausage and eggplant meatballs. The meatball recipe will follow.


No comments:

Post a Comment